Now that you have your braces, how do you take care of them and your teeth? It’s important for you to know how to properly take care of your braces throughout your entire orthodontic treatment. Read the oral hygiene guide next door to learn about effective toothbrushing and flossing.
EATING WITH BRACES
Don’t worry, you’ll be eating popcorn and snacking on potato chips again in no time! However, before you can start enjoying some of the treats you love, you will need to take special care to avoid any foods that could damage your new appliances.
SAMPLES OF FOODS TO AVOID WITH BRACES
- Crunchy foods – popcorn, chips, ice
- Sticky foods – caramel candies, chewing gum
- Hard foods – nuts, hard candies
- Foods that require biting into – corn on the cob, apples, carrots (you can cut these to smaller pieces to enjoy)
FOODS YOU CAN EAT WITH BRACES
- Dairy – soft cheese, pudding, milk-based drinks
- Breads – soft tortillas, pancakes, muffins w/o nuts
- Grains – pasta, soft cooked rice
- Meats/poultry – soft cooked chicken, meatballs, lunch meats
- Seafood – tuna, salmon, crab cakes
- Vegetables – mashed potatoes, steamed spinach, beans
- Fruits – applesauce, bananas, fruit juice
- Treats – ice cream without nuts, milkshakes, Jell-O, soft cake
Download a printable Oral Hygiene Guide here!